It’s official, I have a cold. Sigh. I hate being sick, I have to admit ever since I was really young I have always been a little overdramatic when I get a cold or something. It’s just something that always makes my mom and me laugh, because somehow no matter what I have or who else has it, it always happens to me. In spite of my cold I have still been eating well and reviewing new products, I am also working on a new tutorial which should make its appearance later on this week. On a more positive note we had another football game last night and despite the freezing rain all night we won again – we are 7-0 and ranked second in the state! Woo!
Anyway in honor of Vegan Mofo (have you guys all been cooking up tasty things?) I decided to post this survey that Heather from Be Well and Take Care did a couple days ago.
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
Rice Dream brand rice milk – it is absolutely delicious!
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
Raw carrot humus, Gena’s raw tortilla soup and homemade bread for mama.
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
honestly I have never been a popcorn eater – it always got stuck in my teeth which I couldn’t stand.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
This past sunday I tried to make homemade bread from scratch for Earth Mama, it didn’t rise at all and I was so disappointed. Now I am determined to keep making it until I can get it perfect. Tips are appreciated 🙂
5. Favorite pickled item?
I like cabbage when it’s pickled… I think.
6. How do you organize your recipes?
I have a bunch of cookbooks that I keep on a shelf in my kitchen, the recipes that I create I write down in a little notebook where I doodle and decorate it with pictures.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
Mostly trash, but we recycle sometimes. One of the things I would really like to do is start a compost because most of the things that we have in our trash is fruit and vegetable peels that can be composted. A fun new project perhaps something to do this spring.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
Bananas, avocados and apples.
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood? In my pre-vegan days I remember eating chicken sandwiches with sour cream and onion chips on the beach with my family when we had picnics. It was such a fun way to spend a summer day all together.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
I love raw vegan ice cream – the recipes from Ani Phyo’s books are the best!
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
My combination food processor/blender that my mom got for me at Kohl’s on sale. I use it every morning to make a green smoothie. I honestly don’t know what I would do without it.
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
Garlic! Garlic! GARLIC!! I don’t understand how some people just don’t like it. For me it’s the more the merrier!
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
The cookbook I have had the longest is a Strawberry Shortcake one that I have had since I was about nine or ten. But if you are looking for a vegan cookbook then it would have to be Ani’s Raw Food Kitchen.
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
Hmm… that’s a toughie. I would have to say maybe raspberry or strawberry.
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
I love making vegan baked treats like cupcakes and cookies for my friends and family. Unfortunately most of my family and friends are under the impression that I live off of leaves and tree bark so they can be hesitant to try anything I make. But im working on that 😉
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
Tofu girl all the way. However I have never tried tempeh or seitan so maybe I have another favorite out there. Who knows!
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
Canisters of flour and sugar, a vase of flowers, a metal thermos, raw almonds, dried beans, hemp protein powder and chia seeds. Woah how does all of that fit up there? Last time I checked my fridgs was not that big.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Sprouted grain Ezekiel bread and wraps, frozen berries, organic tofu
20. What’s on your grocery list?
Spinach, apples, bananas, grapes
21. Favorite grocery store?
I do a great deal of my shopping at the new green Wal-Mart that opened up near me recently. They have a great selection of produce and they are usually way more affordable then Giant Eagle. However every once in a while I will go to a smaller health food that I have which I love. I could spend hours looking at things in there.
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
Im sure its been done and a recipe is floating out there somewhere, but one of my favorite things used to be spinach and artichoke dip.
23. Food blog you read the most. Or maybe the top 3?
Veggie Girl, Eating for England, Choosing Raw, Peanut Butter and Jenny, and so many more. There are so many wonderful and creative bloggers out there!
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
I love making Gena’s banana soft serve. mmmmm. I know it’s not candy or chocolate but in my opinion I think it is way better.
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
New flavors of Larabars. Be on the lookout for new reviews coming your way soon!
26. Ingredients you are scared to work with?
I would have to say I am intimidated by using a dehydrator. I know it is not an ingredient however even though I have one I still have not used it. I am just worried that I will mess it up. I know! I know I am missing out but I can’t seem to bring myself to try it out.